Wednesday, August 7, 2013

An aside---

I was running the Alpha course at a women's prison and I found it unbelievable that they were giving them the King James version of the bible to read.  I've got a math brain so I used Coles notes for Shakespeare so I thought it was of little use to give King James bibles to most of the prison population.  Even, I, with 2 University degrees don't like reading King James!

One of the women I met at the prison had the delight of leading a friend to the Lord so she decided to mentor her friend by reading through the bible.  She came up to me and told me they read the New Testament with the King James but is was really too hard to read the Old Testament this way so they found the Message and this was helpful...but then this smart lady looked and discovered the Message was a paraphrase and thus not completely accurate.  This made me excited when I saw another bible was published called the Key to Freedom bible but today I've discovered that this too, has misleading information in it.  In Isaiah 66:3 it starts off as an accusation "You sacrifice...." but in the NIV it says "But whoever..."

This goes to show us that lawyers with their details have a place; theologians with their research have their place; and the average nobody with their experiences have their place.

I'm Sherrill, a nobody in this world, yet a child of God in His Kingdom...and this is all the really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment