Monday, July 30, 2012

Isaiah 5:1-2 -- God's Vineyard and the Fruit

As I read these verses I think of the many wonderful people I know who dearly love the Lord.  They have seen God's amazing Vineyard.  How He toiled in the garden and removed the stones; planted the best plants; built a watch tower; and prepared for the winepress and yet the fruit is not what they had hoped for; the fruit of the Spirit of "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control" Galatians 5:22-23

Then, I think of Jesus at the well in John 4.  How excited He was to see good fruit.  So excited He didn't want physical food.

My challenge today is found in Galatians 5:13-16.  Although we have all freedom I must not let my freedom indulge the sinful nature (I say this after a mentor of mine told me last night "you want it all to be easy; there's discipline involved! :-)).  "Rather, serve one another in love.  The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbour as yourself.".  If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature."

Yes, I'm sure there are many disappointments with the crops as we read in Isaiah 5:2 so I am challenged.  How will I let the Lord develop His fruit in me today?

No comments:

Post a Comment