Sunday, April 28, 2013

Isaiah 49:9-12 -- Really God??

As I read the passage today I'm a little concerned about it applying to me.  I am a nobody with no influence except the influence the Spirit gives me so when an inmate asks me to pray for their parole hearing I pray that God will fulfill His purposes in them whether on the inside or out.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea that I as a tax payer I am paying over $100,000/inmate/year to keep them in prison.  I feel like I need to be getting something more for my money.  To me prison is like a big adult time out and as a result individuals need to understand the consequences of their actions and figure out how to best clean up the damage they've caused.

I'm reminded of a trite but good restorative justice story that came about long before I knew any inmate.  One day this teenager hit my car. It was minor damage and I was busy so I took down his name and phone number and in behind the scenes I took down the license.  When I went to deal with the situation I discovered he had given me a bogus name and phone number.  With this I called the cops.  As it turned out he was visiting my neighbour at the same time as the car owner was visiting my neighbour but their was no relationship between the two.  The owner brought him to my door and told me he had just moved from Mom in BC to Dad in Cambridge and when Dad found out he beat him up!!!  Well that was useless to me so I told him I didn't care how long it took him to pay the $150 in damages but he had to pay for them.  He told me he had no money so I told him "wrong answer".  He said well my Dad gives me money for smokes maybe I could use that.  I said "right answer".  So every week he faithfully came by and paid me $10.  We became friends over that period of time and at the end he was one of he happiest people I knew.  I think because, for the first time he had been able to clean up his own mess.

I know not everyone is ready to problem solve so they have to stay involved with their timeout until they're ready...but for those that are, may God help them to bring healing to their communities.

I also find the argument, "let them figure out their own re-entry strategy" a little weak as well.  If they can't get a job because they have a record then what are their options? More crime? Lying about their record? Working underground?

Father, as you work in and through us will You fill us with Your wisdom.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment